Currently looking for a Linux Systems Engineer/Administrator for a 6 month contract in Pittsburgh. Please see details below. Send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Install, configure, and support an organization’s local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN) and Internet system or a segment of a network system.
- Responsible for monitoring network to ensure network availability to all system users.
- Associate degree in computer related field required.
- Bachelor degree in computer science preferred.
- 5-7 years experience required. Skills and Competencies:
- Verbal and written communication skills, problem solving skills, customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently and manage one’s time.
- Ability to identify, interpret and evaluate system and network requirements.
- Knowledge of computer hardware and software as it related to LAN/WAN.
Major Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain and administer computer networks and related computing environments including computer hardware, systems software, applications software, and all configurations.
- Perform data backups and disaster recovery operations. Diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve hardware, software, or other network and system problems, and replace defective components when necessary.
- Configure, monitor and maintain email applications or virus protection software.
- Operate master consoles to monitor the performance of computer systems and networks, and to coordinate computer network access and use.
- Plan, coordinate, and implement network security measures to protect data, software, and hardware.
- Software Skills Linux Yes 4 – 6 Years
- Software Skills Apache No 2 – 4 Years
- Technical Skills Communications No 2 – 4 Years
1. Experience with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3,4, and 5
2. Deep knowledge of TCP/IP and HTTP networking protocols
3. Excellent communications and organizational skills
4. Understanding of the Apache Webserver architecture
5. Ability to use standard linux commands (commands such as grep, gawk/awk, or sed) to search logs for patterns and recognize such patterns
6. Basic understanding of Load Balancers, Netscaler and/or F5 would be advantageous.
7. An ability to understand and adapt to the sensitive nature of communications of security -related events
8. Understanding of log files and patterns
9. Understanding of DNS